Am I an Adult?
I still feel like I'm in my early-mid 20's eventhough I'm 5-10 years older then that. I know I have a family and a full-time job, but I didn't really feel grown-up. Having a kid helps keep you young :) ; being a parent also makes you take better responsibility in your life. But it has really hit me the past few months that I am an adult and I need to be an adult. I think it started when I made the decision for next year to celebrate my favorite holiday (christmas) at my house and just with my immediate family. I've lived away from my parents for over 7 years now, but when I decided to break away from my parents mentally it set me up to see myself as an adult. I think I finally realized my mentality changed when I found out Heath Ledger died. I'm not really sure why this has affected me. Maybe it's because I saw that we were in the same parts of our lives, he is a few years younger then me but I saw him as my age, with a two-year-old, and in the beginning of our careers. Maybe it's because I saw some of my personality in him. Maybe it's because I remember my parents watching the show "Entertainment Tonight" and commenting that another actor/actress they liked had died "Remember she was in that show...". I don't really know. But now I feel like I have crossed some sort of thresh hold in my life. And to think that someone my age, Heath Ledger's age, would be reaching our life expectancies in Roman civilization. When I am just now feeling like an adult.

4 Comments:
Yes, I know what you mean. Even though we still feel like we are 18, we are not. I had a freind pass away yesterday morning of cancer. She was 31. Really make you think.....
Mary Tag
By
Mommy America, at 7:42 AM, January 24, 2008
Its interesting that you don't feel like a grown up yet even with the family of your own. I am not sure if I feel like an adult.. today I do feel that way, but that's not always the case. I was surprised as well how much Heath's death affected me. Not that I was broken up and in tears, or anything like that, but the level of sadness seemed out of proportion to what he meant to me. I can only chalk it up to thinking of his family, his daughter that would never know her father, that made me sad.
By
Jen, at 7:28 AM, January 29, 2008
L seems to think his death has hit me so hard because he wasn't acting irresponsibly. He was doing normal things, and he still died.
By
Angelique, at 2:20 PM, January 29, 2008
Hmm... I know that wasn't true for me, as I found out pretty soon after it became public, and people were speculating that it was drug related or suicide. /shrug
By
Jen, at 5:57 AM, January 30, 2008
Post a Comment
<< Home