Angelique's Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

R.I.P. Old Man


Rex 1998-2006

My pet rabbit, Rex, died while I was away for the christmas weekend. I had a sense that it would happen while I was out of town. He had been so cheery and light-footed the past few weeks that I didn't even see it coming this break. He was nuzzeled against Regina's cage. Rex was 8 years old, which is old for rabbits. This was no surprise as he had arthritis, had been loosing weight, and was elderly, but I still wasn't prepared to let him go. I can't stop thinking about him and crying.

It was a miracle that I could have this furry pet because my husband is allergic to cats, dogs, mice, rats, and hamsters - we tried them all! I adopted him when he was two years old. His owner was a student moving to another state for school into an apartment that didn't allow animals, and I remember how awkward the three of us were (L, me, and Rex) when he came home with us. He was my first pet that I could snuggle with. I will never forget his personality - he behaved like he owned the place. Ever since I had him had the attitude of a crotchety old man. He would nudge you if you were in his way or had something he wanted. He thumped at everything different from the norm. He loved carrots, pellets and bananas the best. He had GI Stasis twice, the first time in 2000 the vet didn't think he would survive.

This picture is from October 2005, and in looking at it, I can't believe how much weight he lost in just the past year. Farewell Rex. I loved you very much, and you will always be my first true animal companion.

5 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry about Rex. He was so cute and grumpy, a real character.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 AM, December 28, 2006  

  • I am so sorry to hear of your - and your family's - loss, Angelique. Rex was a wonderful bunny. I know how losing a pet can be like losing a member of the family. At least he had a wonderful life, surrounded by people who loved him, and bringing joy to everyone.

    ~R

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 AM, December 28, 2006  

  • sorry to hear about your loss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM, December 28, 2006  

  • Thank you for your condolences everyone. It means alot to me.

    By Blogger Angelique, at 9:42 AM, January 04, 2007  

  • Angelique I know how you feel, and I'm so sorry to hear about Rex. He was such an *awesome* rabbit. I've actually always been a little scared of rodents (technically I think rabbits aren't rodents, but they should be!), in terms of them being pets, ever since I was a little kid and had the crap bitten out of me by a gerbil, I've been a little nervous around them. But Rex was really cool, and very handsome and not at all scary. I got a little choked up to hear that he had passed, and I'm really sory for your loss, he was a good bunny, a real character.

    By Blogger Jen, at 1:28 PM, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home