Angelique's Blog

Friday, March 21, 2008

Wedding


We went to my little cousin's wedding last weekend. It was a good wedding and she planned the whole thing! Drake loved the dancing. We slow-danced, did the chicken dance, and YMCA. He also liked to go outside, I think the music may have been too loud. As you can see, Drake liked drinking the sparkling apple cider. I've tried to get him to drink it in the past, but I think he was more willing to try it because everyone had a glass, and it was in a fancy glass.




The second picture is Drake in front of the cake. He has a strange smile when you ask him to smile for the camera. I tried to get him to wear a collared, button-down shirt but he refused and insisted on wearing his monster shirt. I like it when he picks his own clothes, I take it to mean that he is taking control of his life and it gives him a sense that he has some control. I used to think, wouldn't it be great to be a kid again. Then, when Drake has a tantrum or whines about not wanting to do something that he has to do, it makes me think that for him life isn't as easy as I remember when I was a kid. It's a matter of perspective. Being an adult isn't fun sometimes, and neither is being a kid.

Here is a picture of Drake the day after his party playing with the balloons. He liked to be buried in a pile of balloons and hear us looking for him. Then he would burst out of the pile and say "Here I am!" What a fun game.

2 Comments:

  • I remember I read once somewhere that if you want a kid to where certain types of clothes, give them a choice between, say, 3 different dressy shirts. The idea is that too many choices are overwhelming, but they still have control over the choice they do make. I guess it makes sense, because as a kid, they want to be able to control at least something....

    But at least as a kid you an play in balloons and no one looks at you strangely.

    Or, as my nephew found out, you can play with whipped cream in a can until you end up with more cream then pie and people just giggle.

    By Blogger Sarah Maximiek, at 7:54 AM, March 24, 2008  

  • I know that trick, good advise - it has been very handy in the past. He had been happy to wear the shirt on a previous occasion, and we were living out of a suitcase for the weekend so I only packed the one dressy shirt.

    Tee hee about the whipped cream! Yeah, if you let Drake get his own sprinkles for his ice cream he just keeps pouring them on till the container is empty.

    By Blogger Angelique, at 10:35 AM, March 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home